Applicant tracking systems are numerous to say the least. To figure out the best fit for your business you need to start wide and quickly narrow down your hit list based on research, and then demos of your top choices.
We wanted to shed some light on the nebulous ATS landscape with a bit of data around marketshare, who’s growing the most, and who’s customers are staying the longest. Please use this data to widdle down your list to those solutions that are most relevant to your business. We hope it’ll help you find the best ATS for your company!
The Data Set
Our data set comes from Datanyze, a sales and investing intelligence platform. While the vast majority of solutions in this set are applicant tracking systems, there are a few where ATS is not their core functionality. However, in order to preserve the integrity of the dataset, we haven’t removed these solution providers.
Fastest Growing Applicant Tracking Systems
First off, let’s look at who’s growing. Out of the 95 recruiting technology companies in our data set, we found several that are in hyper growth mode.
If you believe markets are efficient, then growth should tell you a lot. The faster a company grows, the more value it should have. Other employers are doing their research and picking these companies, so maybe you should too!
Applicant Tracking Systems Who’re Retaining Their Customers
I remember when I got into HRTech several years back. A recurring theme amongst practitioners I talked to was that they weren’t happy with their ATS. Everyone has different workflows, and therefore everyone wishes their ATS was set up a bit differently. Plus many of these systems are full of old data and hard to use due to bad UX/UI decisions. This all leads to churn.
When we sorted our dataset by companies who’re retaining the most customers each month, we found something kind of funny at first, please see below. Some of the vendors in this data aren’t really ATS’s and are more in the “recruiting technology” space. While most of the companies in this dataset are in the ATS segment, it’s funny how the ones who’re retaining the most customers aren’t.
Realistically, you have to get down to number 5 with Jazz before you get to a real ATS vendor, and then jump down a few more to Jobvite. Greenhouse was #16 with 8% annualized churn, and Lever was #23 with 13%.
ATS Market Share
Here’s the landscape broken down by market share. It’s important to note that marketshare is defined by the number of websites that currently have a given company’s technology on them. So, a company like Taleo actually has an even greater share of the market than presented here since they charge more than a vendor like Jazz or Workable which sell to smaller companies for smaller dollars.
TL:DR Taleo is crushing it despite one of the most painful user experiences for both talent acquisition professionals and job seekers.
|4||Taleo Business Edition||5,174||4.69%|
|35||ADP Employease Applicant Tracking||816||0.74%|
|39||Lumesse (US only)||722||0.66%|
|62||Technomedia (Hodes iQ)||256||0.23%|
|66||Breezy HR (Formerly NimbleHR)||241||0.22%|
|70||TheJobNetwork by RealMatch||235||0.21%|
|72||HR 4 You||228||0.21%|
|74||The Applicant Manager (TAM)||219||0.20%|
|82||Zywave HR Connection||185||0.17%|
|93||IBM Kenexa BrassRing||139||0.13%|
What’s Suboptimal with this Data
- Unfortunately, there are a few flaws in this data set and some are probably obvious. There are a few non-ATS providers in this group. Sure, some companies may use Ziprecruiter as an ATS, but not most, let alone jobs.net.
- We can assume a bias in what sites Datanyze crawls as they don’t include every webpage on the internet. Many smaller companies that use services like Jazz may not be in here. Workable says on their site they have 6k customers vs 2,600 in our data set, and RecruiterBox says 2k vs 1,400.
- The growth and churn numbers are based on March 2017 alone. These numbers are what was available. So, if a company had a stellar sales month, or bad churn month, it’s going to greatly magnify the growth/retention numbers presented in our post. We can fix that by providing an update in a few months.
Where to go from here
These numbers are another data point in your search for the best ATS. For what it’s worth, the ones we hear come up again and again are Greenhouse, Smart Recruiters, iCIMS, and Lever. Of course, most of these solutions are for the middle market and not truly enterprise. Fortune 500 companies still have to work with the larger, and clunkier solutions. Best of luck in your search!
Latest posts by Phil Strazzulla (see all)
- How to Engage Top Talent (hint: not job descriptions) - October 16, 2018
- When Do Candidates Apply for Jobs? - October 10, 2018
- Glassdoor Pricing Information - September 26, 2018